Mielenkiintoista

George Bradshaw

George Bradshaw


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

George Bradshaw syntyi Pendletonissa, Lancashiressa vuonna 1801. Hän muutti Manchesteriin, missä hän löysi työn kaivertajana. Vuonna 1830 Bradshawin tehtävänä oli tuottaa karttoja Britannian kanavista, joista ja rautateistä. Tämä antoi hänelle ajatuksen perustaa rautatieaikatauluja julkaiseva yritys. Bradshawin kuukausittaisen rautatieoppaan ensimmäinen numero ilmestyi vuonna 1838. Bradshaw julkaisi myös Continental Railway Guide, Railway Manual ja Railway Shareholder's Guide.

Bradshaw oli kveekari ja osallistui useisiin liikkeen kampanjoihin. George Bradshaw kuoli koleraan vieraillessaan Oslossa vuonna 1853.


George Bradshaw - Bradshawin rautatieaikataulut - Myöhempi historia

Bradshaw tuli vähemmän tarpeelliseksi vuodesta 1923, jolloin yli 100 eloonjäänyttä yritystä "ryhmiteltiin" neljään suureen. Tämä muutos supisti dramaattisesti yritysten tuottamien yksittäisten aikataulujen valikoimaa ja määrää. He julkaisivat nyt paljon pienemmän määrän merkittäviä kokoelmia, jotka kattoivat maan. Ironista kyllä, vuosina 1923–1939 kolme suuresta neljästä siirsi aikataulutuotantonsa Bradshawin kustantajalle Henry Blacklock & amp Co. Vain Great Western Railway säilytti oman muodonsa.

Kahden maailmansodan välisenä aikana verbi "Bradshawille" oli halventava termi, jota käytettiin kuninkaallisissa ilmavoimissa ilmaisemaan lentäjiä, jotka eivät kyenneet navigoimaan hyvin.

Valitettavasti 1900 -luku ei tuonut parannusta aikaisempien numeroiden ahtaaseen viktoriaaniseen typografiaan, ja tietty hitaus tuli ilmeiseksi. 1950-luvulla Bradshaw näytti selvästi vanhanaikaiselta, vaikka tiedot olivat yhtä hyviä kuin koskaan.

Kun rautatiet kansallistettiin vuonna 1948, viisi kuudesta brittiläisestä rautatiealueesta oli seurannut yritysten esimerkkiä käyttämällä Henry Blacklock & amp Co: ta omien aikataulukirjojensa tuottamiseen, mutta tuotanto siirrettiin lopulta muille kustantajille. Tämän muutoksen on pitänyt pienentää Henry Blacklock & amp Co: n tuloja merkittävästi. Osia Bradshawista alkoi palauttaa uudempaan British Railways -tyyliin vuodesta 1955, mutta koko volyymin modernisointi ei koskaan päättynyt. Vuoteen 1961 mennessä yksi Bradshaw maksoi 12s 6d (62½p), vaikka täydellinen joukko BR alueellisia aikatauluja voitaisiin ostaa 6s (30p).

Johtopäätös oli väistämätön, ja viimeinen painos nro 1521 oli päivätty toukokuussa 1961. Railway -lehti tuon kuukauden painettu Charles E. Leen valedictory -artikkeli.

Useiden menneiden Bradshawien uusintoja on tuotettu.

Kuuluisia lainauksia, jotka sisältävät sanan historia:

& ldquo Tieteen filosofia ilman historia tiede on tyhjä historia tiede ilman tiedefilosofiaa on sokea. & rdquo
Imre Lakatos (1922 �)

& ldquo Mitä me kutsumme kansallissosialismiksi, on pitkien ajatusten myrkyllinen perversio historia Saksan henkisessä elämässä. & rdquo
Thomas Mann (1875 �)


Yli kuusikymmentä vuotta sitten maailma oli hyvin erilainen paikka. Disneyland oli juuri avannut ovensa yleisölle, Elvis esiintyi viihdekentällä ja sai heti kansallisen mielenkiinnon, ja Warner Brothers paljasti ensimmäisen televisiostudionsa Burbankissa. Vaikka näitä pidetään usein tuon ajan suurina kehityskulkuina, ehkä jonain päivänä huomaamme, että yksi merkittävimmistä panoksista alkoi paljon pienemmällä fanfarilla. Kaikki alkoi sellaisen miehen sydämestä, joka uskoi vahvasti, että uutta tekniikkaa - televisiota - voitaisiin käyttää voimallisesti julistamaan Kristuksen rakkautta maailmalle.

Tuo mies, pastori George Vandeman, näki suunnitelmansa toteutuvan, kun It is Written, ensimmäinen värillisenä lähetetty kristillinen televisio -ohjelma, tuli keväällä 1956 13 aseman radioaalloille.

Seuraavan puolen vuosisadan aikana se on kirjoitettu eksponentiaalisesti. Nykyään, vuosia myöhemmin, rohkeat evankelioimissuunnitelmat ja kiihkeä rukous ohjaavat edelleen palvelusta. Presidentti John Bradshawin aikana se on kirjoitettu on polkua neljällä evankelioinnin pääalueella: televisiossa, julkisessa evankelioinnissa, hengellisissä resursseissa ja verkossa.

Vaikka monet yhteiskunnalliset muutokset ovat tapahtuneet pastori Vandemanin ensimmäisen ilmestymisen jälkeen televisiossa, toivon sanoma Jeesuksen kautta on pysynyt samana.

Toivon jakaminen ympäri maailmaa

Pastori Vandemanin johdolla se on kirjoitettu monille uusille evankeliointiareenoille. Hänen live- ja#8220ilmoitusseminaarinsa

Vuonna 1991 pastori Vandeman jäi eläkkeelle ja pastori Mark Finley hyväksyi tehtävän ministeriön uudeksi puhujaksi/johtajaksi. Hän jakoi myös pastori Vandemanin näkemyksen evankelioinnista ja teki vuonna 1995 historiaa satelliittievankelistussarjalla nimeltä NET 󈨣.

NET 󈨤 seurasi vuotta myöhemmin, ja koska NET 󈨣 oli kohdistettu Pohjois -Amerikkaan, NET 󈨤 saapui maailmaan viesteillä 13 kielellä. On arvioitu, että 2200 kirkkoa 45 maasta osallistui ainakin yhteen niistä NET, ja yli 30 000 ihmistä kastettiin kokousten lopussa.

Seuraava merkittävä It Is Written -satelliittiyritys tapahtui vuosina 1999-2001 LAKIT 2000, kun ministeriö kattoi koko maapallon useilla satelliittikokouksilla. Pastori Finley ohjasi yhteensä 10 sarjaa 3 miljoonan ihmisen yleisölle.

Tähän mennessä ohjelman tavoittavuus oli laajentunut harppauksin. Vaikka satoja muita kristillisiä lähetyksiä oli tulvinut radioaaltoihin, se on kirjoitettu säilytti asemansa yhtenä Pohjois -Amerikan kymmenen parhaan uskonnollisen ohjelman joukosta ja sai yli 30 palkintoa erinomaisesta ohjelmoinnista. Nykyään viikoittainen lähetys tuotetaan yhteensä 12 kielellä, ja se näkyy lähes kaikissa maailman maissa.

Seuraava askel


Se on kirjoitettu aloitti uuden aikakauden tammikuussa 2005, kun pastori Shawn Boonstrasta tuli kolmas puhuja/ohjaaja. Finley, joka on nyt seitsemännen päivän adventtikirkon yleiskonferenssin yleinen varapresidentti, välitti viitan Boonstralle siunauksellaan.

Pastori Boonstra tuli It Is Writtenin päämajaan Kanadasta It Is Writtenista, missä hän oli toiminut puhujana/ohjaajana neljä vuotta. Pastor Boonstra uskoo intohimoisesti palvelutehtävään, kun hän liittyi adventtikirkkoon osallistuttuaan It is Written -evankeliointisarjaan.

Seuraavat 5 vuotta olivat tekniikan ja julkisen evankelioinnin välityksellä tapahtuvan ulottumisen pyörre. Pastori Boonstra ’s Ilmoitus puhuu rauhaa evankeliointisarjat Phoenixin, Portlandin, Los Angelesin, Intian ja Rooman kaltaisissa kaupungeissa antoivat osallistujille ja kirkon jäsenille toivoa Kristuksessa, joka paljastuu Raamatun viimeisessä kirjassa.

Tänään

Tammikuussa 2011 pastori John Bradshaw nimitettiin uutena puhujana/ohjaajana kirjassa It Is Written.

Toukokuussa 2011 Bradshaw suoritti Las Vegasista suoran live -sarjan nimeltä Babylon nousee. Tämä yritys lähetettiin maailmanlaajuisesti satelliitin ja Internetin kautta. Menestyksen jälkeen Babylon nousee Bradshaw esitteli kuukauden pituisen sarjan nimeltä Ilmestys tänään livenä Las Vegasin Cashman Centeristä tammikuussa 2012. Hän seurasi tätä sarjaa tapaamisissa Pariisissa, Daytonissa, Etelä -Meksikossa, Costa Ricassa, Prahassa, New Yorkissa, Charlotteissa ja muissa.

Muita meneillään olevia projekteja ovat Escrito Está, It Is Written ’s maailmanlaajuinen espanjankielinen tiedotus, joka on julkaistu viikoittain It Is Written -televisio-ohjelmassa, joka nähdään yli 143 maassa ja joka on nyt saatavana Yhdysvaltain Discovery-kanavalla (sunnuntaisin klo 7.00 ) Bradshaw ’s viikoittain Raamatusta radio lähettää Paikkani Jeesuksen kanssa Raamatun tutkimuksen verkkosivusto lapsille ja Silmät Intialle humanitaarinen hanke.

Tarkista tästä sivustosta uusimmat uutiset tulevista projekteista. Me ylistämme Herraa näistä mahdollisuuksista ja kehotamme teitä olemaan kanssamme, jotta voimme jatkaa maailmaa Kristuksen puolesta. Kiitos tuestasi ja rukouksistasi!

Lyhyet satelliittisarjat, kuten Ilmestyminen, Läsnäolo, Ohut ilmaja NET 2006 (Ilmestyskirja puhuu rauhasta: merkkien avaaminen) tutki toisen tulemisen aiheita, pyhäkköä, luomista/kehitystä koskevaa keskustelua ja Raamatun ennustusta. Näihin tapahtumiin osallistui tuhansia kirkkoja.

Se on kirjoitettu ’: n viikoittainen ohjelma - maailman pisin jatkuvasti käynnissä oleva uskonnollinen ohjelma - laajeni entisestään ympäri maailmaa. Sen jälkeen, kun se debytoi Australiassa, siitä on tullut maan ensimmäinen uskonnollinen ohjelma.

Ministeriön ulkomaiset projektit ovat vieneet evankeliumin joihinkin maan syrjäisimpiin paikkoihin. Viime vuosina joukkue on matkustanut:

• Arktinen - toimittaa Inuktituk -raamattuja inuiittiheimoille
• Kalaharin autiomaa-asentaa aurinkokäyttöiset vesikaivot ja aurinkokäyttöiset ääniraamatut
• Kongon demokraattinen tasavalta - pygmien keskuudessa
• Vanuatu-hyttysverkkojen tarjoaminen malariasta kärsivissä kylissä asuville lapsille
• Intia-sponsoroimaan elämää muuttavia silmäleikkauksia, jotka palauttavat näkökyvyn
• Mongolia - tarjota lääketieteellistä ja henkistä apua Ulaanbaatarin asukkaille
… vain muutamia mainitakseni!


Abn397

Alkuperäinen Bradshaw, jonka George Bradshaw aloitti Isossa -Britanniassa vuonna 1839, kesti 1960 -luvun alkuun asti. Intialainen Bradshaw ei ilmeisesti ollut yhteydessä alkuperäiseen ja julkaistiin ilmeisesti noin vuonna 1868. Kopio vuodelta 2003 mainitsee � julkaisuvuoden ”.

Sillä on paikkansa Intian rautatiehistoriassa, koska se oli monien vuosien ajan ainoa konsolidoitu tietolähde lukuisille rautatieyhtiöille ympäri maata-isoille ja pienille, Intian hallituksen, ruhtinaskuntien ja yksityisten yritysten rautateille. Monet näistä yrityksistä esittivät omat aikataulunsa, mutta niiden saatavuus olisi ollut rajallinen, eikä niitä olisi ollut lähes mahdotonta saada toiminta -alueidensa ulkopuolelle. Siksi koko Intian kattavuuden tarve täytettiin Bradshaw'lla, jonka näyttää olevan julkaissut W.Newman & amp Co, Kalkutta suurimman osan ajasta.

Itsenäisyyden ja 1950-luvun uudelleenryhmittymisen jälkeen julkaistiin säännöllinen julkaisu nimeltä All-Intian rautatieaikataulu, joka oli olemassa ainakin 60-luvun puolivälistä ja joka oli rinnakkain Intian Bradshaw'n kanssa. Tyypillinen sivu vanhasta intialaisesta Bradshawista (tämä vuodelta 1951):

Ja tämä vuoden 1975 virallisesta All India -taulukosta (vaikka sen kannessa ei aina ollut mainoksia):

Tämä All India -aikataulu ilmestyi viimeksi vuonna 1976 ja korvattiin “Trains at a Glance ”, jota rautatieliikenteen harjoittajat kutsuvat usein nimellä TAAG. Tämä kattoi vain kohtuullisen tärkeät reitit ja niiden kohtuullisen tärkeät asemat.

Tuolloin yhdeksällä vyöhykkeellä julkaistiin omia aikataulujaan, jotka olivat yleensä saatavilla vain omilla vyöhykkeillään (vaikka muistan kirjakaupan Delhi Jn: ssä, jossa oli aiemmin suurin osa alueellisista aikatauluista). Kun All India -taulukko lakkasi olemasta, ainoa viittaus junien ajoituksiin koko maassa (mukaan lukien hämärät haaralinjat) tuli Bradshaw. Se oli edelleen hyödyllinen 2000-luvun puoliväliin saakka, jolloin se kattoi vielä koko verkon (vaikka suuret esikaupunkiverkot eivät olleet koskaan olemassa). Tässä on yksi tuon ajan Bradshawista:

Pian kustantajat lopettivat vähäisten reittien kattamisen (ja näin pelkistivät sen huonosti painettuun TAAG -klooniin). Vuoteen 2005 mennessä 16 vyöhykkeen sotkua käsiteltiin ilmestymällä viisi vyöhykkeellistä aikataulua, jotka kattoivat niiden välillä kaikki maassa liikennöivät esikaupunkiliikennepalvelut. Hard-core-aikataulun fanit keskittyivät hankkimaan nämä. IRFCA: n kaltaisissa verkoissa oli viestejä, kuten “Wanted South Zone TT. Lähetetään West Zone TT vastineeksi ”.

Siihen mennessä alkuperäiset kustantajat näyttävät menettäneen kiinnostuksensa Bradshawiin ja myyneet (tai välittäneet) tuotenimen muille osapuolille. Tämä vaihtoi omistajaa ainakin kerran. Tästä päivästä lähtien intialainen Bradshaw on edelleen julkaistu (mutta useimmat rautatieliikenteen fanit eivät ole nähneet sitä viime vuosina-ei edes Kalkutassa).

Samaan aikaan myös Thomas Cookin kansainväliset aikataulut lakkasivat julkaisemasta, joten ulkomaiset turistit jäivät ilman kätevää yksityiskohtaisten tietojen lähdettä.

Jopa rautatiekuljettajat Kolkatassa ovat joutuneet ottamaan paljon vaivaa löytääkseen kopion. Ilmeisesti tulostettu numero on nyt melko pieni. Joka tapauksessa, näet todisteet sen olemassaolosta alla (sekä jakelijoiden yhteystiedot):

Huomaa näkyvä kirjoitusvirhe takakannessa. Nitpickers voi myös lisätä, että Kolkatan metroasema on 17. vyöhyke. Voidaan myös sanoa, että Konkan -rautatie lasketaan vyöhykkeeksi, vaikka se ei ole laillisesti osa Intian rautateitä (vaikka toiminnallisesti se kuuluu varmasti IR: ään).

Onko Intian Bradshawin nykyinen muoto ostamisen arvoinen? Valitettavasti ei. Se ei näytä sisältävän mitään tietoja, joita EI sisälly Junat yhdellä silmäyksellä ja maksaa enemmän (varsinkin kun jälkimmäiset voidaan ladata helposti ilmaiseksi ja yksityiskohtaisia ​​tietoja on saatavana useista virallisista ja epävirallisista Internet -resursseista) . Ja jos pidät painetuista kopioista, viisi alueellista aikataulua (sekä erilliset esikaupunkien aikataulut Mumbaille, Chennaille ja Kalkutalle) ovat edelleen saatavilla.

Kiitos Souroshanka Majille, joka otti vaivan löytääkseen kopion tästä vuoden 2016 painoksesta.


George Bradshaw - Historia

Bradshawin historiasivu

Tällä sivulla luetellaan joitakin Isabel Bradshaw Savagen (Hughes) (1895-1991) esi-isistä ja sukulaisista, James Bradshawin jälkeläisestä, joka tuli Derbyshirestä Englannista Princetowniin New Yorkiin vuonna 1775.

Tämä viesti julkaistiin alun perin 23. marraskuuta 1998. Sitä on muokattu hieman vuonna 2002 ja uudelleen 20. elokuuta 2006 perustuen perheen Raamatun korjattuun transkriptioon. Katso lisää lisäyksiä ja korjauksia.

James Bradshaw 1734-1813 Elizabeth Bullick 1744-1812

Meillä on heidän nimensä ja nämä päivämäärät Bradshaw -perheen Raamatusta, jossa sanotaan, että he molemmat ovat syntyneet Derbyshiressä, Englannissa, samoin kuin kolme ensimmäistä lasta kymmenestä. Heidän poikansa James Bradshaw, Jr., näkyy Raamatussa syntyneenä "merellä" vuonna 1775 ja heidän kuusi lastaan ​​syntyneinä Princetownissa, Schenectadyn piirikunnassa, New Yorkissa. Princetownin verkkohistoriassa kerrotaan, että "Bradshaw'n perhe tuli Englannista vuonna 1775", ja siinä mainitaan Turnbull -perhe kaupungin varhaisten skottilaisten perheiden joukossa. Toinen Princetownin verkkohistoria (anteeksi, linkki katkesi 15.8.2006) viittaa todisteisiin intialaisten hyökkäyksestä Bradshaw -maatilalle (ehkä tukemalla torien vallankumouksen aikana) ja luettelee James Bradshawin yhtenä valvojana. Huono valittiin ensimmäisessä kaupungin kokouksessa vuonna 1798. Schenectadyn piirikunnan julkisella kirjastolla on erinomainen sivusto, jossa on enemmän läänin historiaa.

Nimi Bullick ei ole täysin selvä perheen raamatussa, se voi olla Bullich.

Jamesin ja Elizabeth Bradshawin lapset

Perheen raamattu luettelee nämä:
(syntynyt Derbyshiressä)
John (1769), Helen (1771), Elizabeth (1773)
(syntynyt "merellä")
Jaakob (1775)
(syntynyt Princetownissa, NY)
George (1776), Thomas (1778), Robert (1780-1867), Benjamin (1782), Mary (1784), Joseph (1786)

Schenectady Dutch Reform Church -rekisterin arkisto sisältää tämän merkinnän:
"Joseph Bradshaw, syntynyt 17. marraskuuta, kaste. 27. helmikuuta 1787, James Bradshawin ja Elizabeth Bullockin poika."
(Olen kopioinut tämän vuoden 1962 New Yorkin osavaltion kirjaston kirjeestä. "Bullockin" päivämäärät ja oikeinkirjoitus ovat selvät.)

Robert Bradshaw syntyi 11. heinäkuuta 1780 ja kuoli 17. huhtikuuta 1867. Hän meni naimisiin Hannahin kanssa, syntynyt 1785. (Lähde?)

Robertin ja Hannah Bradshawin lapset

James Bullich Bradshaw 1810-1883 (toinen nimi Bullock muualla)
Andrew 1812-1844
Elizabeth 1814-1839
William 1816
Barbary Ann 1818
George 1820
Robert 1823-1859
Hannah Ann 1825-1826
Helen 1827-1828

James Bullock Bradshaw syntyi 17. lokakuuta 1810 Rotterdamissa, New Yorkissa, ja kuoli 30. kesäkuuta 1883. Hän meni naimisiin Agnes Turnbullin kanssa, joka syntyi 1814 Princetownissa, NY ja kuoli 21. lokakuuta 1881. (Lähteet?) Turnbullit kuuluivat joukkoon. varhaiset skottilaiset perheet Princetownissa, NY (katso edellä).

James Bullock Bradshawin ja Agnes Turnbull Bradshawin lapset

Robert 1835-1864
George 1836
Maria 1838
Hannah 1842
Andrew 1845-1876
Johannes 1852

Robert Bradshaw 1835-1864

Robert Bradshaw syntyi 21. maaliskuuta 1885. Hän meni naimisiin Almira A. Sniffinsin kanssa 3. heinäkuuta 1856 Presbyterian Churchissa Schenectadyssä, NY, ja heillä oli yksi lapsi, Walter M. Bradshaw, syntynyt 10. maaliskuuta 1857. He asuivat Princetown.

Hän värväytyi yksityishenkilöksi yhtiöön E, 121. rykmenttiin, NY Volunteers, komentajana eversti (myöhemmin kenraali) Upton, ja oli läsnä rykmentin kanssa heinä -ja elokuussa 1863. Leskelleen vuonna 1864 lähetetyn hallituksen asiakirjan mukaan , hän kuoli 10. toukokuuta 1864 Spotsylvanian oikeustalon taistelussa Virginiassa. Eräs ristiriitainen kohde perheraamatussa kertoo, että hän kuoli sairauteen 15. elokuuta 1864 Andersonvillen vankilassa, joka on pahamaineinen liittovaltion sotavangin leiri Georgiassa.

Linkkejä 121. New Yorkin vapaaehtoisten kiehtovaan historiaan, joka oli osa Potomacin armeijaa, ylläpitää Otsegon piirikunnan (NY) GENWEB -sivusto. Suosittelen erityisesti Delevan Batesin sisällissodakirjeitä ja West Pointin sivua kenraali Uptonin kunniaksi. Nämä lähteet eivät mainitse Robert Bradshawia, joka liittyi rykmenttiin sen muodostamisen jälkeen elokuussa 1862. (Anteeksi, kaikki kolme linkkiä tässä kappaleessa katkesivat 15.8.2006 alkaen. Yritän korjata ne. )

Almira Bradshaw meni myöhemmin naimisiin Thomas O.Dornin kanssa Duanesburghista (Schenectady County) 3. huhtikuuta 1866 vanhassa hollantilaisessa reformoidussa kirkossa.

George Turnbull Bradshaw 1836-1917 Delia Olivia Weld (Ida Bradshaw) 1838-1904

George Turnbull Bradshaw syntyi Princetownissa 12. luokalla 1864.)

Delia Olivia Weld syntyi 1. tammikuuta 1838 New Yorkin osavaltiossa ja asui Wellsissä, Hamiltonin piirikunnassa. Hänen vanhempansa olivat William Reynald Weld (s. 11. lokakuuta 1806, Charleton, NY) ja Sarah Elizabeth Johnson (Weld) (s. 1813, Vermont). Hänen perheensä on kerrottu vuoden 1938 kirjassa Hitsauskokoelmat Charles Frederick Robinson, ja erityisesti Lincoln H. Weldin valmistamassa vuoden 1939 täydennyksessä, jotka molemmat ovat saatavilla sukututkimuksissa.

Pari meni naimisiin 15. maaliskuuta 1863. Myöhemmät tiedot viittaavat rouva Bradshawun nimellä "Ida" tai "Ida W. Bradshaw".

George oli lyhyesti Canajoharien lukion (New York) rehtori. Pari muutti vuonna 1866 Waupuniin, Wisconsiniin (lähellä Riponia), missä George oli kaksi vuotta South Ward Schoolin rehtori. Sitten hän toimi viljayrityksenä. Heidän tyttärensä Marion Bradshaw syntyi 4. lokakuuta 1868 ja heidän poikansa Charles W. Bradshaw syntyi kaksi vuotta myöhemmin.

Vuonna 1871 perhe liittyi Luoteis -siirtokuntaan, ryhmään, joka järjestettiin Riponiin perustamaan ratkaisun rajalle. Cutlerin Kansasin historia (Andreas julkaisi vuonna 1883) kertoo, kuinka siirtokunta saapui Kansasin Kansan fossiiliasemalle 19. huhtikuuta 1871, ja kuinka he asuivat neljässä lainatussa rautatiekortissa (kreivikunnassa oli vain kaksi pientä rakennusta) tuolloin), kun he rakensivat nykyisen Russellin kaupungin. Maaliskuun 8. päivään 1974 mennessä Bradshawsin seurakunnan kirkko liittyi. George auttoi perustamaan jauhomyllyn ja kauppayhtiön ja matkusti usein sekä itä- että länsirannikolle.

(Kansler Collections ylläpitää Cutlerin historiaa verkossa. Historian johdantosivun löydät täältä. Historia sisältää lyhyen George T. Bradshawin elämäkerran).

Joskus vuoden 1883 jälkeen (ja luultavasti tyttärensä avioliiton jälkeen vuonna 1893) George ja Ida muuttivat Hemetiin, Kaliforniaan, missä Georgeista tuli Hemetin jyrsintä- ja sähköyhtiön johtaja. Ida Bradshaw kuoli Hemetissä aivohalvaukseen 30. toukokuuta 1904 (ikä 66 vuotta, 5 kuukautta, kuolintodistuksen mukaan). Hänen kuolemastaan ​​kerrottiin Hemet County Newsissä 3. kesäkuuta.

George T. Bradshaw palasi Schenectadyn piirikuntaan vuonna 1906. Vuonna 1909 hän meni naimisiin Schenectadyn Margaret Rodgerin kanssa. Hän kuoli heinäkuussa 1917, ja hän kuoli lyhyen sairauden jälkeen 28. lokakuuta 1917. Hänen hautajaisensa oli hänen veljensä James Barhydtin kotona, ja hänet haudattiin Valen hautausmaalle.

John A.Bradshaw (s. 1852) Ada Bradshaw (s. Toukokuu 1883)

Herra ja rouva John A.

Heidän tyttärensä Ada Bradshaw liittyi seurakunnan kirkkoon 4. helmikuuta 1900. Vuoden 1900 väestönlaskennan aikaan hän asui Russellissa Marion Bradshaw Savagen (George Turnbull Bradshawin tytär) perheen kanssa. Hän meni naimisiin Frank Winslow'n kanssa vuonna 1903. Kun hän kuoli rautatieonnettomuudessa, hän muutti Kaliforniaan, missä hän meni naimisiin William Boothin kanssa ja opetti Kalifornian Oxnardin kouluissa 29 vuotta. Hän kuoli vuonna 1958.


Kansallisen elämäkerran sanakirja, 1885-1900/Bradshaw, George

BRADSHAW, GEORGE (1801–1853), rautatieoppaiden perustaja, Thomas Bradshawin ainoa poika, hänen vaimonsa Mary Rogers, syntyi Windsorin sillalla, Pendleton, Salford, 29. heinäkuuta 1801. Hänen vanhempansa verottivat rajallisia varojaan antaakseen he saivat hyvän koulutuksen ainoalle lapselleen asettamalla hänet Ruotsi -Belgian ministerin Cowardin hoitoon, minkä jälkeen hän muutti Scottin pitämään kouluun Overtonissa, Lancashiren osavaltiossa. Koulun päätyttyä hänet opetettiin J. Bealelle, kaivertajalle. , ja siellä hän vakiinnutti itsensä kaivertajaksi ja painattajaksi, mutta ei löytänyt riittävää ammattia ja palasi Manchesteriin seuraavana vuonna. Hänen huomionsa oli jo jonkin aikaa suunnattu karttojen kaiverrukseen, ja vuonna 1827 hän päätti omistautua erityisesti tälle taidealalle. Ensimmäinen hänen esittämänsä, kaiverrettu ja julkaistu kartta oli Lancashire, hänen syntyperäinen kreivikuntansa. Tätä seurasi vuonna 1830 hänen kartta Lancashiren, Yorkshiren ja ampc -kanavien kanavista. Tästä kartasta tuli lopulta yksi kolmesta joukosta, joka tunnetaan nimellä "Bradshaw's Maps of Inland Navigation". Pian rautatiejärjestelmän alkamisen jälkeen rautatieoppaiden perustaja Bradshaw valmisti vuonna 1839 'Bradshawin rautatieaikataulut', pienen 18 kuukauden kirjan, sidottu kankaaseen, hinta 6d. Vuonna 1840 nimi muutettiin "Bradshaw's Railway Companioniksi", joka sisälsi enemmän materiaalia, poikkileikkauskarttoja, ja myytiin hintaan 1s. Sitä ei julkaistu määräajoin, mutta se ilmestyi satunnaisesti, ja sitä täydennettiin kuukausittaisella aikataululla. Tämän teoksen myyntiedustaja Lontoossa oli herra William Jones Adams, joka näytti olevan ensimmäinen, joka ehdotti ajatusta säännöllisestä kuukausikirjasta halvemmalla, parannuksena The Companioniin. Tämän ajatuksen otti Bradshaw, ja tuloksena oli joulukuussa 1841 ilmestynyt Bradshawin kuukausittaisen rautatieoppaan numero 1 tunnetussa keltaisessa kääreessä, joka on saavuttanut maailmanlaajuisen maineen. Toinen yritys oli ”Bradshaw's Railway Map”, joka valmistettiin vuonna 1838. Muiden julkaisujen joukossa voidaan mainita ”Bradshaw's Continental Railway Guide”, joka on painettu Manchesterissa, mutta jonka ensimmäinen numero julkaistiin Pariisissa kesäkuussa 1847 ja ”Bradshaw's General Railway Directory”. ja Osakkeenomistajan opas '', joka ilmestyi ensimmäisen kerran vuonna 1849.

Bradshaw, kun nuori mies liittyi Ystävien Seuraan ja oli Cobdenin, Peasin, Sturgen, Scoblen, Elihu Burrittin ja muiden aktiivinen apuadjutori rauhankonferenssien pitämisessä, yrittäessään perustaa valtameren penniä ja muita hyväntekeväisyysjärjestöjä työtä. Osa ajastaan ​​hän omisti koulujen perustamiseen köyhemmille luokille. Bradshaw liittyi Rakennusinsinöörien instituuttiin avustajana helmikuussa 1842. Elokuussa 1853 hän meni Norjaan kiertueelle, jossa yhdistettiin liike ja vapaa -aika, ja 6. syyskuuta vieraillessaan ystävänsä kanssa Christianian naapurustossa aasialainen kolera takavarikoi ja kuoli muutamassa tunnissa. Hänet haudattiin Christianian katedraalille kuuluvalle hautausmaalle.

Hän meni naimisiin 16. toukokuuta 1839 Marthan kanssa, joka oli William Darbyshiren Strettonin tytär lähellä Warringtonia, ja jätti pojan Christopherin.

[Manchester Guardian, 17. syyskuuta 1853, s. 7 Pöytäkirja rakennusurakoitsijoiden instituutista (1854), xiii. 145-9 Athenæum, 27. joulukuuta 1873, s. 872, 17. tammikuuta 1874, s. 95, 24. tammikuuta s. 126 Huomautuksia ja kyselyitä, 6. sarja, viii. 45, 92, 338, xi, 15.]


Korkean resoluution kuvat ovat koulujen ja kirjastojen saatavilla tilaamalla American History, 1493-1943. Tarkista, onko koulullasi tai kirjastollasi jo tilaus. Tai napsauta tästä saadaksesi lisätietoja. Voit myös tilata kuvan pdf -muodossa meiltä täältä.

Gilder Lehrman Collection #: GLC06452.01 Tekijä/Luoja: Bradshaw, Wesley (1837-1927) Paikka Kirjoittanut: s.l. Tyyppi: Laaja puoli Päivämäärä: noin marraskuu 1861 Sivut: 1 s. 44,6 x 23,6 cm.

Muistuttaa McClellanin unta, jossa George Washington paljastaa konfederaatiosuunnitelmat hänelle. Story väittää, että McClellanilla oli pian komennon vastaanottamisen jälkeen unelma, jossa George Washington paljasti hänelle, että hänen keskellään oli petturi, ja näytti myös, missä kaikki liittovaltion joukot olivat kerääntyneet, mikä mahdollistaisi hänen helposti voittaa sodan. Tämä versio painettiin muutama kuukausi tarinan alkuperäisen julkaisun jälkeen. Tulostimet voivat "taata unen totuudenmukaisuuden", ja se oli todennäköisesti joko apokryfinen tai kirjoittajan täysin valmistama. Wesley Bradshaw oli kynän nimi Charles Wesley Alexanderille (1837-1927), Philadelphian kustantajalle. Hän käytti myös kynän nimeä kirjoittaakseen "George Washingtonin visio" samanlaisen tarinan Washingtonin näkemyksestä Yhdysvaltain vallankumouksen aikana.

Tekijänoikeusilmoitus Yhdysvaltojen tekijänoikeuslaki (osasto 17, Yhdysvaltain koodi) säätelee tekijänoikeudella suojatun materiaalin valokopioiden tai muiden jäljennösten tekemistä. Laissa määrätyin edellytyksin kirjastoilla ja arkistoilla on oikeus toimittaa valokopio tai muu kopio. Yksi näistä erityisedellytyksistä on, että valokopiota tai jäljennöstä ei saa ”käyttää mihinkään muuhun tarkoitukseen kuin yksityiseen opiskeluun, apurahaan tai tutkimukseen”. Jos käyttäjä pyytää tai käyttää myöhemmin valokopiota tai kopiota "kohtuullisen käytön" ylittäviin tarkoituksiin, käyttäjä voi olla vastuussa tekijänoikeusloukkauksesta. Tämä toimielin pidättää itsellään oikeuden kieltäytyä hyväksymästä kopiointitilausta, jos sen mielestä sen toimeenpano loukkaa tekijänoikeuslakia.

(646) 366-9666

Pääkonttori: 49 W. 45th Street 2nd Floor New York, NY 10036

Meidän kokoelma: 170 Central Park West New York, NY 10024 Sijaitsee New Yorkin historiallisen yhdistyksen alemmalla tasolla



George Bradshaw on paikassa Windsor Bridge, Pendleton naby Salford, Lancashire gebore. N graveerderin Manchesterissa aloittama vapaaehtoinen van sy skoolloopbaan het hy 'n leerjongenskap alkaa vuonna 1820 sy eie ateljee Belfastissa. Vuonna 1822 het hy man Manchester teruggekeer waar hy as graveerder and drukker veral cards vervaardig het. [1]

Bradshaw oli jumalanpalvelusmies. Alhoewel sy ouers allesbehalwe welvarend was, het hulle nogtans vir hom lesse betaal by 'n predikant en aanhanger van Emanuel Swedenborg. Hyhet tot die Godsdiensgenootskap van Vriende (Kwakers) toegetree en baie van sy tyd aan filantropiese werk bestee. Joten het hy met radikale hervormers soos Richard Cobden saamgewerk om vredeskonferensies te organiseer en en skoolgeriewe en sopkombuise aan arm inwoners van Manchester te verskaf.

Volgens oorlewering het Bradshaw vanweë sy Kwakergeloof in die vroeë uitgawes van sy reisgidse nooit die maandname gebruik wat van Romeinse godhede afgelei is nie aangesien hierdie praktyk as "heidens" beskou is. Kwakers het destyds na Januarie nimellä "eerste maand" ja helmikuu "tweede maand" ensovoort verwys. Dieselfde reël on op dagname toegepas - samoin kuin Sondag gewoonlik die "eerste dag" genoem, ensovoorts.

Vuonna 1841 het hy 'n gehalte-weekblad in die lewe geroep, Bradshawin Manchester Journal, tapasi George Falknerin toimittajana. Tämä oli volgens 'n destydse beskrywing "' n baie veelsydige weekblad met 16 bladesye met 'n fokus op kuns, wetenskap and literatuur wat teen' n lae prys van 1/½ penni per week verkoop is". Ses maande myöhemmin on dieblad se naam gewysig tot Bradshaw's Journal: A Miscellany of Literature, Science and Art, en dit is vervolgens in Londen uitgegee. Die publikasie on ruoko vuonna 1843 gestaak. [2]

Op 15 Mei 1839 het Bradshaw in die huwelik getree. Tydens 'n reis deur Noorweë het hy in 1853 cholera opgedoen en is nog syyskuussa van dieselfde jaar daar in die ouderdom van 52 jaar oorlede nadat hy nie meer in staat was om na Engeland terug te keer nie. Bradshaw on osavaltion katedraalissa Oslossa.

Vroeë geskiedenis Wysig

Bradshaw het al bekend gestaan ​​uitgewer -pakettiautona Bradshawin sisävesiliikenteen kartat ("Bradshaw se Binnelandse Navigasiekaarte") tutustui kortteihin ja esitteli kanavia Lancashiren en Yorkshiren kärjessä Manchester-gebaseerde uitgewery op 19.10.1830. Liina linnegebonde Boek het onder die site Bradshawin rautatieaikataulut ja rautatieliikenteen avustaja ("Bradshaw se Spoorwegroosters en Gids vir Spoorwegreise") verskyn. Die gids on verkoop teen sikspens (2½p).

Vuonna 1840 syntyi titteli Bradshaw's Railway Companion ("Bradshaw se Spoorweggids") en die prys verhoog tot een sjieling. Nyt voit valita, mitä oppilaita on, mutta ne on ohjattu, ja ne on ladattava. Oranspronklike Bradshaw-publikasies het nog voor die beperkte billering van die Spoorweg-standaardtyd marraskuussa 1840 en sy geleidelike ontwikkeling tot 'n algemene standaardtyd verskyn.

Joulukuussa 1841 Bradshaw kuoli prense volgens 'n voorstel van sy Londense -agentin William Jones Adamsin toimesta. Die gidse on nou maandeliks ja sen otsikko Bradshawin kuukausittainen rautatieopas gepubliseer. Baie spoorwegmaatskappye oli Bredshaw ja spoorwegrooster, maar hy het dié kritiek omseil tapasi syklin, joka halusi oman itsensä 'n aandeelhouer van spoorwegmaatskappye te word en sy saak by aandeelhouers se vergaderings te stel.

Bradshaw se spoorweggids, wat tradisioneel met 'n geel omslag verskyn het, het gaandeweg sinoniem met sy uitgewer geword. Joten hetki Victoriane ja Edwardiane nauttivat spoorwegrooster gewoon as Bradshaw verwys, ongeag die spoorwegmaatskappy wat dit gepubliseer het, en sonder om daarop te let of Bradshaw werklik die uitgewer daarvan was of nie.

Terwyl die 1841-uitgawe nog 'n skrale agt Bladeye Beslaan het, het dié van 1845 reeds 32 beslaan. Die gids het mettertyd steeds omvangryker geword en in 1898 946 Bladeye Beslaan, en was intussen ook voorsien van cards, afbeeldings en beskrywings van die belangrikste toeriste-aantreklikhede en historiese geboue in nedersettings wat deur treine bedien is. Interaktiivinen genoeg het die gids se uitgawenommer huhtikuussa 1845 skielik van 40 tot 141 gespring. Volgens die uitgewer was dit net 'n onskuldige fout, maar daar was spekulasies dat die nommer weens kommersiële redes verander is. As 'n skynbaar lank gevestigde publicasie was die gids moontlik aantrekliker vir mainostajat. In elk geval het die uitgewer die fout in die volgende uitgawe nie reggemaak nie sodat dit as nommer 142 verskyn het.

Toe die satiriese tydskrif Booli vuonna 1865 sy lof vir Bradshaw se publikasies uitgespreek het, het dit opgemerk dat "die mens se reusagtige intellek selde vir 'n werk van groter gebruikswaarde ingespan is". Een van Bradshaw se groot prestasies oli om uiteindelik orde in die chaos te tuo wat deur sowat 150 verskillende spoorwegmaatskappye, treinroetes dwarsdeur die land en 'n nouliks gekoördineerde netwerk geskep is. Enige wysiging on deur Bradshaw noukeurig gelys sodat die gids tot in die 20ste eeu as standaardwerk vir treinreinigers gevestig is.

Vuonna 1918 on die gids teen twee sjieling (10p) verkoop. Die prys het gestyg tot 'n halfkroon (12½p) in 1937. Alhoewel historiese geldwaardes moeilik is om te bereken, het dié prys gelykgestaan aan ruim £6.00 in huidige geldwaarde.

Latere geskiedenis Wysig

Vanaf 1923 was Bradshaw se gidse minder noodsaaklik vir treinreisigers nadat meer as 100 oorlewende spoorwegmaatskappye saamgesmelt is om die "Groot Vier" (Big Four) te vorm. Die getal spoorwegroosters, wat deur treinmaatskappye self uitgegee is, het dramaties afgeneem. Die maatskappye het nou 'n klein aantal omvattende roosters gepubliseer wat elkeen 'n deel van die land gedek het. Drie van die vier groot spoorwegmaatskappye het die produksie van hul roosters tussen 1923 en 1939 aan Bradshaw se uitgewery, Henry Blacklock & Co., oorgedra. Die meeste amptelike spoorwegroosters het sodoende as herdrukte uitgawes van die ooreenstemmende bladsye in Bradshaw-gidse verskyn. Slegs Suuri läntinen rautatie het voortgegaan om hul eie formaat te publiseer.

In die tydperk tussen die twee wêreldoorloë is die werkwoord to Bradshaw in die Britse Koninklike Lugmag (kuninkaalliset ilmavoimat) as 'n neerhalende term vir vlieëniers gebruik wat nie regtig kon navigeer nie. Dié uitdrukking is moontlik gevorm om na diegene vlieëniers te verwys wat spoorweë as hul navigasielyne gebruik het.

Toe die Britse spoorweë in 1948 genasionaliseer is, het vyf van die ses nuwe British Railways-streke aanvanklik die voorbeeld van voor-oorlogse treinmaatskappye gevolg en hul spoorwegroosters deur Blacklock te laat vervaardig. Die produksie is uiteindelik aan ander uitgewers oorgedra. Hierdie besluit het Blacklock se bedryfsinkomste merkbaar laat daal. Dele van Bradshaw se gids is vanaf 1955 in British Railways (BR) se nuwer styl gepubliseer, maar die hele uitgawe se modernisering is nooit voltooi nie. In 1961 is Bradshaw se gids teen 12s 6d (62½p volgens die desimale stelsel) verkoop, in vergelyking met 6s (30p) vir 'n stel van BR se streeksroosters.

Vir Bradshaw-gidse was die einde onvermydelik. Die laaste uitgawe het as nommer 1521 in Mei 1961 verskyn. Die Britse spoorwegtydskrif The Railway Magazine het in dieselfde maand afskeidsartikel van Charles E. Lee gepubliseer. Herdrukte uitgawes van verskillende Bradshaw-gidse is sedertdien gepubliseer, insluitende e-boekuitgawes.

Bradshaw's Continental Railway Guide Wysig

In Junie 1847 het die eerste uitgawe van Bradshaw's Continental Railway Guide verskyn wat die roosters van spoorwegmaatskappye op die Europese vasteland verskaf het. Die gids het gaandeweg sterk in omvang gegroei en uiteindelik meer as 1 000 bladsye beslaan, insluitend roosters, 'n reisgids-afdeling en 'n hotelgids. Die publikasie is in 1914 met die uitbreek van die Eerste Wêreldoorlog gestaak. Ná die oorlog is dit 'n tyd lank hervat. Die laaste uitgawe het in 1939 verskyn. 'n Faksimile van die 1913-uitgawe is in September 2012 gepubliseer. Naas die gedrukte versie het ook 'n e-boek verskyn wat die volledige teks en 'n klein deel van die oorspronklike advertensies behels.

Die Britse joernalis en televisiepersoonlikheid Michael Portillo het 'n uitgawe van een van Bradshaw se gidse (veral die 1863-uitgawe van Bradshaw's Descriptive Railway Hand-Book of Great Britain and Ireland) vir sy televisiereeks Great British Railway Journeys gebruik. In hierdie dokumentêr, wat deur BBC Two vervaardig en uitgesaai is, reis hy dwarsdeur Groot-Brittanje. Die eerste seisoen van die reeks is vroeg in 2010 gebeeldsaai, die tweede vroeg in 2011 en 'n derde vroeg in 2012. 'n Vierde reeks het vroeg in 2013 gevolg.

In laat 2012 is 'n spesiale reeks, Great Continental Railway Journeys, gebeeldsaai waarin Portillo vir sy reeks van spoorwegreise deur verskillende Europese lande en gebiede gebruik maak van die 1913-uitgawe van Bradshaw's Continental Railway Guide. Dit is opgevolg deur Great American Railroad Journeys en Great Indian Railway Journeys.

Die televisiereeks het kykers se belangstelling in Bradshaw se gids gewek. In 2012 was die herdrukte uitgawe 'n tyd lank een van Amazon UK se tien blitsverkoper-boeke. [3]


Buildings (fn. 89)

In 1284 the scholars of Balliol inhabited locum quendam cum Edificiis et omnibus pertinentiis. (fn. 90) This consisted of three tenements stretching back from Broad St. on what is now the western part of the front quadrangle and Fellows' Garden. (fn. 91) It was only in the 15th and early 16th centuries that a sustained building campaign provided the college with a quadrangle round which were grouped the chapel, library, hall, and fellows' rooms. Its external appearance then was virtually the same as it was in Loggan's time, 150 years later, except that the garden behind the quadrangle had grown in size. But since 1700 almost everything has been changed. The only structural remains of buildings earlier than that date are the outside walls of the Upper Library, Lower Library (formerly the hall), and the oriel window of the Master's Lodgings. Everything else has been built or rebuilt, and some of it twice rebuilt, since 1700. The centre of the college has been shifted from 'the' quadrangle (which is now reduced to 'the front quadrangle') to the garden, round which are grouped the 19th-century hall, chapel, and common rooms.

Owing to the number of times that every part of the front quadrangle has been repaired, restored, or entirely rebuilt, it will be necessary to deal with its separate parts in turn. The chapel will be described first, and then the Upper Library, Lower Library, Master's Lodgings, and the south and east sides of the front quadrangle. The history of the garden quadrangle being less complex can then be treated as a whole.

The Chapel.

At first the scholars of Balliol had no chapel of their own but attended the parish church of St. Mary Magdalene. It was only in 1293 that they received license from Oliver, Bishop of Lincoln, to build an oratory within the bounds of their own house, since lectures and disputations left them no time to attend services in the parish church. (fn. 92) Since then three successive chapels have been built. Of the first (c. 1309–28) nothing remains. The second (1522–9) was pulled down in 1856, but the stained glass and some of its 17th-century furnishings have been preserved in the third chapel which was built by William Butterfield in 1856–7.

The first chapel was built of stone and had a leaden roof. The building had been begun by 1309, but progressed slowly since the scholars had difficulty in extracting from the executor of Hugh de Vienne (d. 1296) the whole sum of 100 marks which he had bequeathed for its erection. (fn. 93) It must have been nearing completion in 1328 when Nicholas de Quappelade, Abbot of Reading, gave £20, a glass window worth £10, and timber and lathes, for the soul of Adam le Politer, burgess of Reading. (fn. 94)

Of this chapel nothing remains. There has even been speculation as to its site. But despite the speculation, it is certain that the first chapel was on the present site, which is known to have been part of four tenements acquired by the college between 1303 and 1310. (fn. 95) The reason for our certainty is the curious manner in which the second chapel was built.

The second chapel (1522–9) was built round the outside of the first chapel. The operation was carried out in two 'campaigns'. First the college made a contract with William Eist, mason of Burford (3 April 1522), to make the south wall and three windows in it for £8, some of the stone being provided by the college. Six years later (20 Feb. 1528) a second contract was made with John Lobbens, 'mason of my Lordes wark' (i.e. Cardinal College), and William Jonsons, freemason, to make the heads of four windows on the north side of the east window, 'every window to be wrowghte with wovsers (voussoirs) and chawmerantes (chamfers, or mouldings)' for the price of 21 marks, 3s. 4d., exclusive of the carriage of stone. (fn. 96) This piecemeal operation enabled the college to use the chapel while it was being rebuilt a college meeting was held in it on 15 November 1525. (fn. 97) But some inconvenience must have been caused in the (upper) library (built c. 1478) where the East Window no longer admitted light, since it now looked into the new ante-chapel.

Both of the master-masons involved in the second chapel are well-known figures. William Eist had been one of the master-masons of Corpus Christi College in 1514–16. He seems to have died c. 1526, so the change of master-masons would have been forced on the college. His successor, John Lobbens, was Wolsey's mason for Cardinal College (1525–9). He was not the only link between the second chapel and Cardinal Wolsey. For four of the donors of stained glass windows in 1529 and 1530 were intimately associated with Wolsey.

These four donors were Richard Stubbs (Master of Balliol 1518–25), Laurence his brother who in the inscription is described simply as 'sacre theologie professoris', Thomas, subdean of York, and John Hygdon, one-time president of Magdalen. Richard Stubbs was the link that bound to Balliol the other three donors, all of whom were presidents or ex-presidents of Magdalen. Thomas, the subdean of York (1508–29), alias Thomas Knolles, was president of Magdalen from 1528 to 1536. We know that he had some connexion with Wolsey since he owed him 20s. at the time of his disgrace. (fn. 98) The man to whom he had succeeded as president was Laurence Stubbs, who had been elected in 1525 at the direct instance of Cardinal Wolsey and who had resigned in 1528 when his position had become untenable. (fn. 99) He had then been employed in the household of the Cardinal, disbursing money for his building works. But even as early as 1525 he had been handing over money from Wolsey for the building of Cardinal college to John Higdon (alias Hygdon). (fn. 100) This John Hygdon, the third of our trio, had been Stubbs's predecessor as president of Magdalen (1518–25). He had resigned that office in order to become first dean of Cardinal College, and as part of his new duties was in charge of the building works there. (fn. 101) But in 1529–30 Cardinal Wolsey was in disgrace, and his college had ceased to exist, the very site being threatened by the king. Hygdon was not then to know that in 1532 his college would be refounded and that he himself would be reappointed dean. Did he, in his despair, pass on to Balliol College glass that had been ordered for Wolsey and was no longer required ?

The style of the east window and of the Catharine window certainly suggests such a solution. For the style of the glass is very like that of James Nicholson, the king's glazier, who certainly worked for Cardinal College in 1528. (fn. 102)

The East window originally showed 12 scenes from Gethsemane to the Ascension with a lower row of 6 panels, 4 of which showed angels and 2 the donor, Laurence Stubbs, kneeling before St. Catharine. From the panels of the bottom row, two angels and the donor are missing the figures of Laurence and Richard Stubbs now in this window belong properly to the Catharine window. (fn. 103) Of the scenes one, the Deposition, is lost another, the central panel of the Crucifixion is mainly modern (fn. 104) and a third, the Arrest of Christ is badly patched. Of the remaining four, the Agony in the Garden, the Scourging, the Crowning with thorns and the Ecce Homo are taken from Dürer's engravings of the Passion (1512). James Nicholson, it may be added, was in origin a Fleming it might be expected therefore that he would have known Dürer's works.

Two of the windows given in 1530 were given by donors outside Wolsey's circle. Sir William Compton, builder of Compton Wynyates and friend of Henry VIII, was considered by Wolsey as a rival. (fn. 105) Mr. Thomas Leson was Compton's clerk and executor of his will. (fn. 106) Both these windows are now in a fragmentary state. But there is an illustration of Compton's window (drawn by O. Jewitt in 1841) showing it as it was after it had undergone restoration in the 17th century. (fn.107)

There are several water-colours and drawings of the chapel as it was in the 19th century. Most of them are in the possession of the college, and one of the interior is reproduced here. (fn. 108) In that picture it will be seen that the chapel had been refurnished in the 17th century. The work was done partly in 1637–8 and partly in 1685–9.

In the first campaign the windows were repaired, (fn. 109) and two new windows by Abraham van Linge, showing Philip and the Eunuch and the illness of Hezekiah, were set up they were the gifts of Richard Atkyns and Peter Wentworth in 1637. Both of these windows survive, although both are now divided into two. The chapel had been repanelled in the previous year at a cost of £267, £100 of which was given by John Popham of Littlecote, formerly a fellow commoner. The pulpit and lectern belong to the same period, the latter the gift of Edward Wilson, vicar of Bampton (Oxon.), and a former fellow.

In the second campaign the chapel floor was laid with black and white marble by Thomas Wood, lapidary or stonecutter, in 1685 and 1688, at a cost of £186 16s. 10d. A new ceiling of Flanders oak was built by John Wild, joiner, in 1689 for £55 and it was painted by Daniel Webbe for £9. (fn. 110)

In 1841 a new plaster roof, imitative of a lierne vault was erected by Basevi. His design for it is in the library. (fn. 111)

In 1856 the second chapel was demolished, and in its place was built the present, or third chapel.

At first the intention was only to enlarge the chapel, so as to accommodate the whole college and at the same time provide a memorial for Dr. Jenkyns, the late Master. The architect consulted was William Butterfield, and by 3 June 1854 he had produced two alternative plans, one to extend the chapel westwards at the expense of one bay of the library, the other to extend it northwards. In either case he reckoned to accommodate 100 persons. It was suggested to him that extra accommodation could be provided more easily by throwing the ante-chapel into the chapel proper. But this Butterfield refused to do: 'I should feel so much this departure from the universal plan of a college chapel, that I should have seriously to consider whether I ought not to resign the work you have kindly entrusted to me if the arrangement were decided on by the college.' (fn. 112) When the college proposed to retain the old walls and windows 'so as to preserve the ancient appearance, raising the pitch of the roof', Butterfield replied that 'we ought I think to raise the upper part of the walls and insert some kind of clerestory in addition to raising the pitch of the roof. But by this plan we should not gain any enlargement of the area of the chapel.' In his letter of 7 November 1854, which the Master endorsed as 'acquiesced in, though not quite approved', he wrote 'I really have not the least fear of the extra height of the chapel above the library. I am sure it will give great life and effect of a good kind to the quadrangle.'

The demolition of the old chapel was begun in the Easter week of 1856. The new chapel was finished by October 1857. (fn. 113) The external colour scheme became apparent as early as 27 August 1856: 'you must not judge of that red doorway such as it nyt stands. There is a great plain wall of white coming above it which would have looked badly unless there had been some strong color below to give a strong and not toy like look to that arch. I have little doubt about it when finished. I like, however, to hear your views from time to time.'

Butterfield's own views were multifarious. He replanned the garden, discoursed on the virtues of yewtrees, hollies and low shrubs, and designed the 'private terrace for the Fellows with a low wall'. He lowered the floor of the passage west of the chapel by 4 or 5 in. in order to make step up into the chapel, and had a new arrangement for kneeling in chapel, the virtues of which he was willing to prove to Mr. Riddell. (fn. 114)

At first the old stained glass was put up in the chapel. Butterfield had Laurence Stubbs's east window reerected (with the addition of the new crucifixionscene), but did not like it: 'The east window looks more and more glaring as the side ones get fixed.' (fn. 115) He set to work therefore with enthusiasm to design a new window, which would not only be modelled on the 'best old glass in various places', but would also keep up 'the banded character of the walls'. 'We must', he wrote, 'have the best window which has yet been done.' (fn. 116) He made the designs himself and had the work executed by Wailes of Newcastle. To match it he had the iron screen between the ante-chapel and chapel gilded. (fn. 117)

But Butterfield's enthusiasm died with him. In 1911 his window was judged to contribute more than anything else to the 'dreariness' of the chapel, and in 1912 it was taken down and replaced by Laurence Stubbs's window. (fn. 118) The banded character of the walls was concealed with plaster. His stalls were ejected in 1937 and were sent to Duloe Church in Cornwall. The new stalls are of walnut and were designed by Walter Tapper. Even Butterfield's iron screen was thrown out it was last seen in 1940 on top of a truck-load of scrap-iron near Oxford station.

But Butterfield should be grateful that even the exterior of his chapel, which Freeman described as 'a personal injury to me and to every Trinity man' has survived. (fn. 119) For in 1912 Walter Morrison offered the college £20,000 to pull the whole chapel down and rebuild a copy (as near as was possible) of its predecessor, and the offer was at first provisionally accepted. Strachan-Davidson, the Master, was enthusiastically in favour but opposition was encountered. Many of the fellows felt that the destruction of a serviceable chapel would be a flagrant waste of money, when the college was intent on using every penny of its resources to help the admission of poor students to the university and after an appeal to all the Honorary Fellows and trustees of college trust-funds, their opinion prevailed. The college refused Walter Morrison's offer and in consequence lost the money which was given instead to the university to provide a retiring fund for professors and to promote the study of Egyptology. (fn. 120)

It is perhaps remarkable that in this great debate only one honorary fellow defended Butterfield's chapel on aesthetic grounds. He was Lord Francis Hervey, and his letter has all the enthusiasm of Butterfield himself:
My dear Master,
A boon! A boon! Spare your chapel! It is a building of great beauty, … this innocent poem in stone.

The Upper Library

The Upper Library occupies the first floor of the greater part of the north side of the library. The five west bays were built in 1431, largely at the expense of Thomas Chace, a former Master of the college and one-time chaplain of Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester. (fn. 121) The four eastern bays were built by Robert Abdy (master 1477–94), presumably to house the books bequeathed to the college by William Gray, Bishop of Ely who died in 1478. (fn. 122) But the building has suffered many subsequent alterations.

Externally, only the walls (which have been considerably refaced) and the library windows are original. The low-pitched roof and battlements are apparently the work of Wyatt (c. 1794) and replace a steeppitched roof with no parapet at all. The windows and doorways of the ground floor are all subsequent to J. C. Buckler's time and are most likely the work of either Basevi (1826) or Salvin (1853). (fn. 123) The chimney in the middle of the north side is the work of Butterfield (1857). (fn. 124)

Internally the changes are greater. The plaster vault, plaster on the walls, and bookcases are the work of Wyatt who in 1794 produced a plan and estimate 'to fit up the library with clapboard'. (fn. 125) In 1643–4 there had been eight 'formes' of books in stalls. The books were chained at least as late as 1767. (fn. 126) So far as Wyatt's plaster makes measurements possible, the dimensions of the bays were identical with those of the contemporary library of Durham College. (fn. 127)

Until 1794 there was a window in the east wall of the library. After 1522–9 this window looked into the ante-chapel. In this window was the glass showing Thomas Chace and the fellows kneeling before St. Catharine. Thomas Chace and the fellows were releaded into one of the ante-chapel windows in 1800 (and are now in the chapel) but St. Catharine 'was lost or broke to pieces in taking down'.

The glass showing Thomas Chace may indeed date from c. 1431, in which case Abdy must have moved it from a window in the west end of the library. But the rest of the library glass is work of varying dates. As it is, there are shields and tracery lights, patched with little pieces of van Linge glass. Originally every window had two coats of arms, one in each light, and round each coat of arms was a verse which rhymed with the verse in the next light. At the bottom of each light was portrayed a 'saint' sitting in a chair. Wood reported that these saints survived the Commonwealth during which they were obscured with black paint, but now only two prophets and the Virgin and child survive, set in shields. The symbols of the Passion and Trinity which also survive, should probably be numbered among Wood's 'saints'. (fn. 128)

From the inscriptions as recorded by Symonds, Wood, and Savage it is clear that the library was not glazed immediately it was built, for there are clear references to the chilliness of an unglazed library. (fn. 129) But it must not be imagined that all the persons commemorated in the windows were donors specifically to the library. Some had died before the library was begun. They were the benefactors who had made possible the whole great building campaign of the fifteenth century.

Some of them were fellows of the college. The earliest of these was Thomas Barry (1395), the latest, if correctly identified, John Burton (c. 1495). (fn. 130) The bishops commemorated are Walter Skirlaw of Durham (d. 1406), Richard Clifford of London (d. 1421), Roger Whelpdale of Carlisle (d. 1423), John Carpenter of Worcester (d. 1476), John Alcock of Rochester, Worcester, and Ely (d. 1500), and of course William Gray of Ely (d. 1478). George Neville (Archbishop of York 1465–76) was more a political figure. (fn. 131) The arms of his brother Warwick, the King-maker, are also to be found. Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, is also represented, though his interest may have been vicarious through John Patrick, his 'valette de wardrobe', and Thomas Chace who had been his chaplain. (fn. 132)

The latest benefactor to be mentioned was Thomas Harrope who left lands in the north of the county in 1522. (fn. 133) The glazing of the library, therefore, cannot have been finished before that date, some ninety years after the library had been begun.

The Lower Library and Salvin's Tower

The lower library which is on the west side of the quadrangle was originally the college hall and was converted to its present use in 1877. It is a building of four-bays with double-light Perpendicular windows. Originally it had no external parapet, and its roof had a steep pitch and was surmounted by a louvre. The south bay was originally the screens passage with doorways at its east and west ends,—the latter of which survives, now leading into the Master's Lodgings. The kitchen was south of the hall, next to Broad St. (fn. 134)

The hall would seem to have been built early in the 15th century, and was finished by 1430 at least, since Thomas Chace gave it glass windows (since destroyed) in that year. (fn. 135)

The first major alterations to the hall were probably made by Wyatt c. 1792. The pitch of the roof was lowered, and a crenellated parapet was added to increase the 'Gothick' atmosphere. The kitchens, and consequently the screens passage also, were moved from the south to the north end of the hall. (fn. 136)

By 1853 it was necessary to increase the size of the hall in order to accommodate the increased numbers of undergraduates. Accordingly the college instructed Mr. Salvin, its architect, 'to enlarge the hall by taking in the adjoining (i.e. screens) passage and to construct a new kitchen and offices partly under the Hall and partly on ground taken from the Fellows' Garden'. (fn. 137) These instructions involved the building of the present passage round the north end of the old hall, the excavation under it of the cellars that are now used as bicycle sheds, and the erection of 'Salvin's tower' at the northwest corner of the quadrangle. At the bottom of the tower were some of the kitchen offices. The room at the top of it was eventually put to use as a muniment room. (fn. 138)

Salvin's enlargement of the old hall was insufficient for the needs of the college. In 1876–7 Alfred Waterhouse built the new hall at the north end of the garden. The old hall was then put to its present use as a library. The sum of £2,049 15s. was spent on giving it a new floor and fitting it with bookcases, and on converting the kitchen offices in Salvin's tower into a set of fellow's rooms 'with special accommodation for his servants'. (fn. 139)

The Master's Lodgings

South of the Lower Library, and completing the west range of the quadrangle is a building on the first floor of which is the oriel window of the Master's Lodgings. The corbels of the oriel window have carved on them the arms of Bishop Gray of Ely (d. 1478), and it would therefore seem that this building was due to his generosity. The stonework of the window was (faithfully) renewed by Waterhouse in 1867–8, and the windows of the ground floor (which had previously been the college buttery) are entirely his work. The interior also, was completely remodelled by him, at the same time as he rebuilt the rest of the Master's Lodgings.

The South and East Ranges of the Front Quadrangle

These were entirely rebuilt by Alfred Waterhouse in 1867–8. If we look at Loggan's drawing to see the appearance of this part of the quadrangle, we see two ranges of 15th-century buildings. The east range indeed might even have been built as early as the end of the 14th century Wood described it as 'the oldest part' of the college. (fn. 140) The south range 'was not, as it seems, built till the time of Henry VII'. (fn. 141) Wood thought that he could make out the arms of Thomas Kempe, Bishop of London (1450–89), and a bell which he took to be the rebus of William Bell, (Master 1483–95).

The east part of the south front, between the gatetower and the corner next to Trinity College, and also the east range itself were rebuilt early in the 18th century. (fn. 142) They would appear to have been built as part of a grand design to rebuild the whole college in the classical manner, a design which can be seen on the University Almanack for 1742. But nothing of these classical buildings remains they were demolished by Waterhouse in 1867. The college possesses drawings, water-colours and photographs which show what they were like, and it cannot be said that they were inspiring.

Consequently, the quadrangle was a hybrid in the latter part of the 18th century and the early part of the 19th century. One corner was classical and the rest Gothic. Moreover the Gothic portion at least was in poor repair. In 1775 the fellows complained of the ruinous condition of the buildings 'not to be repaired at any expense if at all'. (fn. 143) In 1826 Mr. Hudson, the builder, was called in to inspect the buildings. But he was more optimistic, reporting of the gate-tower that 'although the parapets and cornices and mouldings are in a very decayed state, the walls are as good and substantial as when first built, and that the adjoining buildings to the west, though not in a good state of repair are likely to last fifty years and upward'. Encouraged by this report the college left the quadrangle alone and embarked on the Basevi buildings in the garden.

Fifteen years later, in December 1841, George Basevi surveyed the south front himself, and reported that 'the expense of rebuilding the front of the college from the tower inclusive to John Fisher's building' would be from £9,000 to £10,000. Although his buildings in the garden had been in the classical style, his plans for the south front were Gothic. (fn. 144) When taxed with the extravagance of this he replied that 'the cost of a house in the Italian style of architecture would not be much less than one built in plain but handsome Gothic'. (fn. 145) On 3 June 1842, the college issued an appeal for funds, and Basevi made no secret of the fact that he was to be the architect of the new South Front. Suddenly, in February 1843, the fellows rejected his design. (fn. 146) Basevi, highly indignant, considered that his professional reputation had been damaged. So indeed it may have been, for the fellows, apparently led by Frederick Oakley, were approaching Pugin. The college on 6 March 1843, 'agreed that Mr. Pugin be requested to furnish a design for a new façade towards the Broad St., but at the same time resolved that under the peculiar circumstances of the case, even if Mr. P's plan shall eventually be approved and be thought worthy of being carried into effect, he himself be not employed in the execution of the work'. (fn. 147) The peculiar circumstances were that Pugin was a Roman Catholic and on this ground, as well as from a desire to protect Basevi's reputation, the Master, Dr. Jenkyns, refused to consent to employ Mr. Pugin or any other party rebuilding the part of the college in which his house was. He would refuse to affix the college seal to any such proposal. (fn. 148) This was on 13 March. On 4 April the college decided to 'decline availing themselves' of the liberality of subscribers to the new buildings, and ordered the roofs of the south front to be repaired.

But the college retained Pugin's drawings which are still preserved in the library. They were even lent to Waterhouse when he was producing his own designs in 1866. It would seem that they influenced his design in one respect for the row of sharp gables facing Broad St. echoes the Pugin drawings. But Waterhouse himself was of a different stamp from Pugin. His letters to the Master were severely practical. He asked if the Master wished to collect the rain water from the roof of his house 'the town water is hard I believe'. Or 'The enclosed is a sketch of the fittings in a scout's room. May I ask if they would be satisfactory?' (fn. 149)

The college took an interest in the appearance of the new front. When first shown the new designs the fellows reported that they did not like the pyramidical roof of the tower, nor the dormer windows in his design, nor the staircase windows west of the tower. They also minuted that 'Mr. Waterhouse be requested to consider whether the groining of the archway under the tower may not be retained'. (fn. 150) Obviously, he must have reported that it could not be retained, but he had the grace to build the ancient bosses into the wall between Trinity and Balliol whence some have been removed to the 'cenotaph' in the Fellows' Garden.

Waterhouse started the demolition of the old work early in April 1867. His new buildings (excepting the tower) were ready for occupation by October 1868. The building contractor was W. M. Brass of London, and the total contract was for £19,994, of which the Master's House and study cost £4,704. (fn. 151) In 1870 Waterhouse produced plans for altering Fisher's building to his own particular brand of Gothic, making a complete façade. (fn. 152) But the college preferred to reface Fisher's buildings without altering the design.

Since then Waterhouse's buildings have remained substantially unaltered. Plumbing was installed in 1939, but otherwise the buildings are as baronial as when he built them.

The Garden Quadrangle

The garden quadrangle has developed over a period of two hundred years. At the end of the 17th century, as can be seen in Loggan and the Ichnographia, it was not a quadrangle at all. It had the air of appendent tenements and outhouses.

Facing Broad St., on the eastern part of the site of the present Fisher's buildings, there was an Elizabethan cottage known as 'Hammond's castle' or 'the Rat's castle'. (fn. 153) Farther north, lying behind the gardens of the houses facing St. Mary Magdalene was a long halftimbered building which was partly a 'Trencher House' and partly stables. The back gate was opposite the chancel of St. Mary Magdalene, at the south-west corner of that part of the garden known as 'the Grove'. North of it was a ball court and brew-house, and north of these was 'Caesar's lodging', on the site of the present back gate. This house had been acquired by the college in 1610 and derived its name from Henry Caesar who resided here while studying for his D.D. (fn. 154) As it was called Caesar, the building opposite it (on the east) was known as 'Pompey' which had been the residence of a Mr. Ellis who had enlarged it in 1675. (fn. 155)

The development of the garden as a quadrangle started with the erection of the Bristol Buildings, supposedly in 1714, at the south end of the west side. (fn. 156) Possibly the fellows already had ideas about making a courtyard open to the garden on the north, for such a design appeared on the University Almanack in 1742. But there is no evidence that that grandiose design was any more than an opulent dream. The college could raise new buildings only when it was given funds, and when it was given £3,000 by John Fisher in 1767, it had no premeditated schemes. The Fisher buildings were designed as an individual work by Henry Keene, who had already done work at Christ Church and Worcester College. (fn. 157)

Next were built the Basevi buildings north of the Bristol buildings in 1826–7 at a cost of £3,946. (fn. 158) The college had some trouble with Basevi. His first design included Ionic columns and pilasters, and was consequently rejected. (fn. 159) The college desired 'that the intended building be neat, plain, and substantial, it being the object of the Society to afford additional accommodation in the present great demand for admission into the college, without attempting architectural embellishment which would ill account with the situation itself and the character of the adjoining buildings'. (fn. 160)

The next building, however, was more ambitious. Mr. Salvin, the expert on medieval military architecture, was employed in 1852–3 on the range of buildings which includes the present back gate facing St. Giles and Beaumont St.—where formerly had been Caesar's Lodgings and the Master's stables. The new buildings, though Gothic, lived up to the college's traditions. They were utilitarian and contained among other things a chemistry laboratory. 'There is a sort of baldness about the building, but there is nothing positively ugly' wrote Freeman. (fn. 161) Most strikingly in accord with the college's policy was its decision to furnish the undergraduates' rooms in the building itself' with a view to adopting some mode of checking the expensive and luxurious habits of young men in the fitting up of their rooms'. (fn. 162)

Salvin's buildings did not stretch far enough south to meet Basevi's buildings (the gap between them containing, until 1912–13, only that celebrated convenience known as Periham), but the idea of a garden quadrangle was apparent when his buildings were completed, and it was but a short step to building along its north side. This was done by Alfred Waterhouse in 1875–7. He built the hall, the buildings east and west of it, and one staircase of rooms east of Salvin's buildings, incorporating the half-timbered faç of a small 17th-century house. The hall has been subsequently altered by his son, Paul Waterhouse, who panelled it and blocked up the lower part of the windows, and the kitchens were remodelled in 1948.

The last buildings of the college show a reversion to a quiet Georgian style by E. P. Warren, who built the staircase at the very north-west corner of the college (1906) and the block between Basevi's and Salvin's buildings (1912–13). The garden quadrangle was then complete on three sides, and the building of the fourth side remained, as it still remains, an exercise for visionaries.


Katso video: Better Late Than Never Review - William Shatner, Henry Winkler, Terry Bradshaw, George Foreman (Kesäkuu 2022).


Kommentit:

  1. Khenan

    I recommend that you search google.com

  2. Daly

    Se on turhaa.

  3. Jan

    En myöskään voi odottaa 10. joulukuuta. Kun Real Madrid on zenithiä vastaan….



Kirjoittaa viestin